June 9, 2015 — On June 4, MIE held its 6th Annual Graduate Research Symposium.
Nearly 50 poster presentations and 30 oral presentations took place throughout the day.
Graduate students presented on an array of important research areas, from harvesting next-generation solar energy, to modeling homeless behaviour, to developing rapid, on-the-spot testing for diseases. A keynote lecture was given by MIE alumnus, Professor David Erickson (MechE MASc 0T1, PhD 0T4) of Cornell University.
In the evening, the department hosted a special graduate gala to recognize the achievements of its graduate students, as well as to celebrate 125 Years of Mechanical Engineering at U of T. Attendees were treated to welcome remarks by Dean Cristina Amon and a keynote speech by former CEO of ShawCor Ltd., Bill Buckley (MechE 7T1).
At the dinner, awards were annouced for this year’s Endowed Fellowships, MIE’s first-ever Teaching Assistant Award, as well as the symposium’s Best Oral Presentation and Best Poster Presentation.
Congratulations to all of this year’s winners!
Best Oral Presentations
- Karl Price (Biomedical Engineering)
- Parnian Saberi (Advanced Materials, Applied Mechanics and Robotics)
- Tiffany Tong (Industrial Engineering)
- Thomas Burdyny (Energy, Thermal and Fluid Sciences)
Best Poster Presentations
- Deepika Devadas (Biomedical Engineering)
- WeiDan Ding (Advanced Materials, Applied Mechanics and Robotics)
- Raghav Singal (Industrial Engineering)
- Michael George (Energy, Thermal and Fluid Sciences)