- Fluid Dynamics, Heat Transfer and CFD
- Micro and Nano Scale Thermal Transport, Micro Fuel Cells
- Thermal Engineering of Microelectronics: Heat Transfer
Enhancement Techniques, Transient Thermal Management of Portable
Electronics and MEMs-based Heat Removal of High Heat Flux Electronics
- Hemodynamics and Mass Transport in Biological Systems with
Applications to: Abdominal Aortic Aneurysms, Endovascular Grafts and
Intravenous Blood Oxygenators
- Multidisciplinary Engineering Design and Education
INSTITUTE OF TECHNOLOGY (MIT)
Doctor of Science in Mechanical
Engineering, May 1988
Thesis under Professors Bora Mikic and Anthony Patera on "Heat Transfer
Enhancement and Three-Dimensional Transitional Flows by a Spectral
Element-Fourier Method". Minor in Applied Mathematics.
Master of Science in Mechanical Engineering, June
Thesis under Professor Bora Mikic on "Experimental Study on the Effect
of Oscillatory Flow on Heat Removal from Electronic Devices".
SIMON BOLIVAR (USB)
Mechanical Engineering Degree, August 1981
Back to top
Thesis on "Analysis and Simulation of a Solar Grain Drier".
OF TORONTO (UofT),
Faculty of Applied Science and Engineering (2006-present).
Alumni Chair Professor,
in BioEngineering, Department of Mechanical and Industrial Engineering, (2006-present).
MELLON UNIVERSITY (CMU),
Raymond J. Lane Distinguished Professor of
Mechanical Engineering, Biomedical Engineering (2001-2006).
Director, Institute for Complex
Engineered Systems (ICES) (1999-2006).
Professor of Mechanical Engineering
Associate Director, Institute for
Complex Engineered Systems (ICES) (1998-99).
Associate Professor (1993-97), Assistant Professor, Mechanical Engineering
Conducted and directed research, developed new courses,
created and conducted outreach programs. Fostered and led
multidisciplinary research initiatives.
Visiting Professor, Technical
University of Munich, Germany (summer 1990).
– Courses Taught: Fundamentals of Mechanical Engineering,
Fluid Mechanics, Thermodynamics, Mathematical Techniques in Mechanical
Engineering, Advanced Fluid Dynamics, Computational Fluid Dynamics and
Heat Transfer, Turbulent Flow and Transport, Multi-disciplinary Design
Project Course (team taught), and Preparing for a Faculty Career
– Carnegie Bosch Institute, Thermal Management of Electronic
Systems and Components, Summer Course in Advanced Program for Technical
Visiting Researcher, NASA Glenn,
(LEWIS) Heat Transfer Branch, Cleveland (summer 1991).
Back to top
- HENACC, Great Minds in STEM, Hall of Fame Inductee, 2012.
- Michael Korybalski Endowed Distinguished Lecturer, University of Michigan, 2012.
- Woman of Influence, named one of Canada’s 25 Most Influential Women, 2012.
- RSC, Royal Society of Canada, elected Fellow, 2011.
- SWE Achievement Award, 2011.
- YWCA Woman of Distinction, 2011.
- Hispanic Engineer and Information Technology, Top 200 Most Influential Hispanic, 2011.
- Engineers Canada Award for the Support of Women in the Engineering Profession, 2010.
- Most Important Hispanic in Technology Award, HENAAC, 2010.
- Hispanic Development Council Award: Hispano Bolivariano, Toronto, 2010.
- ASME Heat Transfer Memorial Award, 2009.
- Canadian Academy of Engineering, Fellow, 2009.
- Massey College, University of Toronto, Senior Fellow, 2009.
- Professional Engineer, Ontario, Canada, 100139829.
- ASME Electronics and Photonics Packaging Division Women Engineer Inaugural Award, 2008.
- Engineering Institute of Canada, Fellow, 2008.
- Canadian Society for Mechanical Engineers, Fellow, 2007.
Academy of Spain, elected foreign corresponding member, 2006.
elected member, 2006.
- ASEE, Fellow, 2005.
- Named One of America’s Most Important Hispanics in
Technology and Business, Hispanic Engineer
and Information Technology Magazine, 2005, 2006.
- 2004 ASME Journal of Electronic Packaging Best
Paper Award, "Influence of Pulsating Submerged
Liquid Jets on Chip-Level Thermal Phenomena," Vol. 125(3).
- EPPD Thermal Management Award for Outstanding
contributions in Thermal Management Applications
to the Field of Electronic and Photonic Packaging, ASME 2004.
ITherm 2004 Best Paper Award, "Lattice Boltzmann Modeling of
Energy Transport in Silicon-on-Insulator Microelectronics Including
Phonon Dispersion Effects," 2004.
Electronics and Photonics Packaging Division Clock Award for
Outstanding Contributions to the
Engineering and Science of Thermal Management of Electronics, 2003.
- HENAAC Hispanic Engineer National
Achievement, Education Award, 2003.
- ASEE Ralph Coats Roe Award, for Outstanding
Contributions to the Engineering Profession, 2002.
- Japan-American Frontiers of Engineering Alumna,
Invited Delegate, National Academy of Engineering, Japan, 2002.
- Raymond J. Lane Distinguished Chair of Mechanical
- Honorific Paper Award "Secondary Flow and Wall
Shear Stress in Three-Dimensional Steady Flow AAA
Hemodynamics," ASME IMECE, Bioengineering Division, 2001.
- IEEE, Fellow, 2001.
- ASME Heat Transfer Division, Appreciation Award
for Advancing the Engineering Profession as K-3
Honors and Awards Committee Chair, 2001.
- Honorific Paper Award “On the Calculation of
Hemodynamics Shear Stresses at the Wall of Dilated Large Arteries:
Application to 3D Computational Models,” ASME IMECE, Bioengineering
- ASME/PiTauSigma Gustus L. Larson Memorial Award,
for Outstanding Achievements in Mechanical
- SWE CMU Chapter, elected Professor of the Year,
- ASME Electrical and Electronic Packaging Division,
Service Award for Advancing the Engineering
Profession as K-16 Chair, 2000.
- SWE Distinguished Engineering Educator Award, 1999
- ASME, Fellow, 1999.
- ASME Engineer of the Year, Pittsburgh, 1999.
- CMU (Carnegie Mellon University) Benjamin Richard
Teare Award for Excellence in Engineering
- AIAA elected Associate Fellow, 1998.
- ASME Heat Transfer Division, Dedicated Service
- ASEE George Westinghouse Award, 1997.
- ASEE NCS and Zone II, Outstanding Campus Rep
- ASEE NCS Outstanding Teacher Award, 1995.
- PiTauSigma (Mechanical Engineering Society)
elected Honorary Member, 1995.
- SAE Teetor Educational Award, 1994.
- CIT (Carnegie Institute of Technology) George
Tallman Ladd Research Excellence Award, 1991.
- NSF Research Initiation Award, 1989.
- Venezuelan Society of Mechanical and Electrical
Engineers Ladislao Andara Award, 1983.
- Mechanical Engineering Degree: Summa Cum Laude, 1981.
American Association for the Advancement of Science (AAAS), Life Fellow
- Electorate Nominating Committee ECN, Section M, Engineering, Member, 2001-2004; 2006-2012; Chair, 2003-2004.
- Chair-Elect, 2004-2005; Chair, 2005-2006, Retiring Chair, 2006-2007, AAAS Engineering.
- AAAS Fellow Nominations Committee, 2008-2010.
American Society of Mechanical Engineers (ASME), Life
- ASME Committee on Honors, 2009-2015.
- ASME representative to AAAS, 2008-2010.
- Technical Program Chair, Heat Transfer Conference, San Francisco, CA, July 17-22, 2005.
- Associate Editor, J. Heat Transfer, 2001-2004.
- Chair, ASME Heat Transfer Division (HTD) K-16 Committee on Heat Transfer in Electronic Equipment, 2000-2003.
- Chair, ASME HTD K-3 Honors and Awards Committee, 2000-2001.
- Member, Executive Committee, ASME Electronic & Photonic Packaging Division (EEPD), 2001-2004.
- Vice-Chair, ASME K-16 HTD Committee on Heat Transfer in Electronic Equipment, 1997-2000.
- Member, ASME K-3 HTD Honors and Awards Committee, 1998-2001.
- Chair, ASME HTD Committee on Membership Development and Honors Nominations, 1996-1998.
- Member, ASME K-8 Committee on Theory and Fundamental Research, 1994-2000, ASME K-16 Committee on Heat Transfer in Electronic Equipment, 1991-present, ASME HTD K-22 Committee on Visualization, 1999-2002, ASME K-20 Committee Computational Heat Transfer, 1994-1999.
- Member, ASME Board on Minorities and Women, 1997-present.
American Institute of Aeronautics and Astronautics (AIAA), Associate Life Fellow.
- AIAA Thermophysics Technical Committee (TTC), 2000-2006.
- AIAA Awards TTC Member, 2001-2003.
American Society for Engineering Education (ASEE), Fellow
- ASEE-EDC Nominating Committee, 2012-present.
- ASEE-EDC Diversity Committee, 2009-present.
- ASEE-EDC Executive Board Director, 2007-2009.
- Committee on Multidisciplinary Engineering, 2003-2005.
- Ralph Coats Roe Award Selection Committee, 2002-2005.
- Women In Engineering Division WIED, 2002-present.
- CMU Campus Representative, CMU, 1993-1997.
American Physical Society (APS), Member.
Biomedical Engineering Society (BMES), Member.
Canadian Society for Mechanical Engineering, Fellow
Institute of Electrical and Electronic Engineers (IEEE), Fellow
- Associate Editor, IEEE Trans. Components, Packaging Technology, 1995-present.
- Member, IEEE CPMT Society, TC-9 Committee on Thermal Management & ThermoMechanical Design, 1996-present.
- General Chair, ITherm 2002, IEEE/ASME Eighth Intersociety Conference on Thermal, and Thermomechanical Phenomena and Emerging Technologies in Electronic Systems, San Diego, CA, May 29-June 1, 2002.
National Academy of Engineering (NAE), Member
- NAE Committee on Membership, 2011.
- NAE Mechanical Engineering Peer Committee, 2008-2011; Vice-Chair, 2009-2010; Chair, 2010-2011.
- NRC Panel, 2006, 2007, 2009.
Pi Tau Sigma, Life Member ’01, Honorary Member.
- Faculty Advisor, CMU Chapter 1994 to 1996.
Royal Society of Canada (RSC), Fellow.
- RSC Committee on Fellow Selection, Applied Sciences and Engineering, 2011-present.
Sigma Xi, Life Member.
- Judge, 5th to 12th Annual Research Symposium for Undergraduates and Meeting of the Minds, Sigma Xi CMU Chapter, 1995-2002.
- Electorate Nominating Committee, 1994- 1995.
Society of Automotive Engineering (SAE), Member.
- Judge, Eighth to Tenth Annual SAE Robotic Walking Machine Decathlon.
Society of Hispanic Professional Engineers (SHPE), Life Member.
Society of Women Engineers (SWE), Senior Life Member
Back to top
- SWE Achievement Award Judging Panel, 2012-present.
- President, Pittsburgh Chapter, 2004-2005; Past President, 2005-2006.
- Adviser CMU Team, 1999 Boeing Team Tech National Student Competition.
- Engineering Your Future, SWE two-week summer workshop for middle and high school female students, Workshop Instructor and Co-founder, 1993-2006.
Professional, Corporate, and Government Committees,
- University of Waterloo Engineering, Vision 2015: Building on Excellence, External Assessor, 2012.
- ASEE EDC Committee on Diversity, 2009-present, Nominating Committee, 2012-present.
- ASME Committee on Honors, 2009-present.
- Canadian Engineering Accreditation Board (CEAB), Visiting Team Vice-Chair, 2010.
- University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign UIUC College of Engineering, Board of Visitors, 2009-present.
- International Centre for Heat and Mass Transfer, Executive Committee, Canada Rep, 2010-2014.
- Global Engineering Deans Council (GEDC), Executive Committee, 2007-present, Chair, 2008-2009.
- National Council of Deans of Engineering and Applied Science (NCDEAS) of Canada, Research Committee Chair, 2008-present.
- Northeastern University ADVANCE External Advisory Board, 2008-present.
- MKS Instruments Inc., Board of Directors, 2007-present.
- Nominating & Corporate Governance Committee, 2007-present.
- Compensation Committee, 2012-present.
- Engineering Deans Council (EDC), Executive Board Director, ASEE 2007-2009.
- University of Pennsylvania’s Mechanical Engineering and Applied Mechanics, External Review Chair, February 2008.
- UCLA Henry Samueli School of Engineering and Applied Mechanics, External Visiting Team Member, January 2008.
- Stanford University’s Mechanical Engineering Department, Board of Advisors, 2006-present.
- National Research Council, The National Academies Board on Chemical Sciences and Technology, 2006-2007, Panel Report entitled ‘Benchmarking the Research Competitiveness of the U.S. in Mechanical Engineering,’ The National Academies Press, 2007.
- Bombardier ETrain, Executive Committee Member, 2008-2010.
- Purdue University qHUB, Advisory Board, 2007-2010.
- Case Western Reserve University, School of Engineering, External Review Committee, 2005-2007.
- National Science Foundation, Fundamentals of Complex, Engineered, Organizational and Natural Systems, AB member 2005-2007.
- National Research Council, The National Academies, Space Studies Board, Committee on Microgravity Research CMGR, sub-committee on Emerging Technologies, 2001-2004, Committee Report entitled Assessment of Directions in Microgravity and Physical Sciences Research at NASA, The National Academies Press, 2004.
- Visiting Committee, Engineering Division of the Colorado School of Mines, 2004-2007.
- Advisory Board and External Reviewers, Dept. of Mechanical Engineering, American Univ. of Beirut, Lebanon, 2005-present. Review of proposed Ph.D. report to New York State Department of Education, 2005.
- The City University of New York, The City College, NSF CREST Center for Mesoscopic Modeling and Simulation (CMMS), External Advisory Board Member, 2001-2005.
- Chair, External Review Committee of Mechanical Engineering Centers in Portugal, FCT, Department of Science and Post-Secondary Education, Portugal, October 1997, September 1999, January 2003, April 2008.
- International Centre of Heat and Mass Transfer Scientific Council Board Member, 2002-2006.
- The Executive Women’s Council of Pittsburgh, 2002-2007.
- University of Texas, Arlington, Department of Mechanical and Aerospace Engineering, External Advisory Board Member, 2001-2008.
Biographical Listings >>>